News & Info
Need To Know Beach Safety Tips
Indonesia has the 2nd longest coastline in the world. Its countless beaches are all charming, and dangerous, in their own unique ways. Never forget that having fun at the beach also means remaining aware of these dangers and staying safe. Here are a few tips to make sure your next beach trip is a good one.
Check the forecast – Most people aren’t interested in rainy, stormy beach days. Not just because it’s not much fun, but it often increases the danger level. Check the weather forecast and pay attention to everything including temperature, rain & thunderstorm predictions, wind speeds, and swell height. High levels of any of these all create their own dangers.
Know where to go – Do your research! Choosing the right beach depends on several different factors. If you plan on having lunch, there better be somewhere to eat? If the beach you're heading is heavily tide affected, like many in Indonesia, when is the best time to go? Do you want to snorkel, kayak, or SUP?
It’s always best to choose a spot close to a lifeguard, they are there for a reason! Keep your eyes open for any warning signs and/or flags that may be posted, and always listen when lifeguards give instructions.
Know your limits – Everyone can enjoy the beach, but that doesn’t mean you should jump right in, or even get close to the water, if you don’t know how to swim. Drowning is one of the leading causes of unintentional deaths worldwide. The ocean can be very unpredictable and easily catch even the strongest swimmers off-guard. If you don’t know how to swim, a life jacket will let you enjoy the water with less stress. Regardless, remain aware of your surroundings, keep an eye on the shore and any potential hazards in the water (waves, currents, etc.), and other people around you. Never swim or surf alone!
Stay covered – Sunburns are no fun, but there is a lot more to worry about other than being uncomfortable and red as a tomato for a few days. Anyone that experiences more than 5 strong sunburns in their life has double the risk of developing skin cancer. Slather on your sunscreen and make sure to reapply during extended sun exposure. Shade is your best friend, especially during the peak sun hours between 10 am and 2 pm; hats, umbrellas, and trees are great options. Better yet, a Bali Bandana?
Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are dangerous, and can creep up on you unexpectedly. Stay aware of how much sun and heat you’re getting, and make sure to stay hydrated! Know what symptoms to be aware of and what to do if you or a loved one experiences any of them.
Stay hydrated – It’s easy to get caught up in the fun, but staying hydrated is one of the most important things to remember. Your body loses a surprising amount of energy in the sun and warmer weather, 2 of our favorite reasons for a day at the beach! Make sure to drink plenty of water while limiting drinks that dehydrate you like coffee and alcohol.Yes, we know: lounging on the beach and an ice cold Bintang go together like Nasi and Sambal, but be careful not to have too many and always match any alcohol intake with extra water.
- PT SUP Bali
Top 10 Health Benefits of Stand-up Paddleboarding
Stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) isn’t a new sport, but certainly has pushed itself into the limelight in the past several years. Why is it so popular? Apart from being a fun way to spend the day on the water, stand-up paddleboarding offers a full-body workout that is hard to achieve.
Let’s look at the 10 biggest benefits of SUP:
- Back to Nature – Let’s start with the obvious but sometimes forgotten positive mental effects of being out on the water. This calming activity gives you a chance to get away from land and enjoy nature from a different perspective.
- Chill Out – Gliding above the water as you settle into your paddling rhythm, you naturally can’t help but relax and de-stress. Couple that with the fact that exercise inherently decreases stress and you’ve got a winning combination.
- Find Your Balance – Walking on water isn’t easy so finding your feet on an SUP takes some time. Requiring leg strength and core stability to maintain balance, stand-up paddleboarding will get easier the more you do it and also increase your focus and balance in daily activities.
- Full Body Workout – Along with all the muscles required to keep yourself standing up and balanced on your board, you’re paddling! Pretty much every muscle in your body is engaged at some point while on an SUP.
- Pump It UP – You’re going to be sore after stand-up paddling, but that’s a good thing. You’re building up overall body strength. You’ll be handing out 2 tickets to the gun show in no time.
- All Day Long – Along with getting the muscles of a Greek God (or Goddess), you’re endurance levels will increase dramatically.
- Get Your Heart Pumping – Once you start mastering the technique, you’ll be motivated to paddle longer and faster. You can easily get your heart rate up as much as any cross-training whether running (boring!) or an expensive aerobics class at your local gym.
- Keep Your Heart Pumping – As mentioned above, stand-up paddleboarding offers a great aerobic workout. This translates to improved cardiovascular health and less risk of related diseases and complications like heart attacks and strokes.
- Low Impact – Unless you’re planning to take on big waves like these guys, riding an SUP is very low impact activity. You can get great exercise without doing damage to your tendons, ligaments, and joints.
- Relaxed Rehab – Combining all the positive attributes together makes stand-up paddleboarding an awesome activity for people entering rehabilitation from an injury.
If you haven’t already, give SUP riding a try. You’ll be surprised at how much fun you can have while getting an amazing workout!
New Name, New Website!!
Our team has had a busy couple of months, but we couldn't be more excited to officially re-brand as Pulau Outfitters!
As our company matures, our product line continues to expand. We felt it was time that we left behind the Wave Hunter name and find something that better reflected who we are and what we do. We aren't all about chasing waves, which is why we curate products for all different types of land and sea adventures!
In conjunction with our re-branding and our continual improvement of customer service, we're making several other changes:
- Getting Streamlined - Our new website offers an enhanced shopping experience, browse around!
- Getting Social - We've been greedy, but we want to share more with you now! Please connect with us on social media, you'll be the first to find out about our promotions, events, cool places to visit, helpful tips, and more!
- Getting Stoked - Our product line is constantly expanding to keep you stoked and stocked with the latest trends. Stay in touch to be first in line.
- PT SUP Bali